Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Facebook addiction: A Survivor’s Tale Part 5

I later discover that there had been a few important events at the party after I left earlier in the evening – someone had got drunk and embarrassed themselves by confessing some troublesome secrets to everyone there. It was quite funny for some, but not so for those who were mentioned. In any case, the photos were pasted all over Facebook. I was glad I’d left to get home early.

By now you’re probably wondering if there’s a point to all this, was there some greater meaning found by the Facebook addiction? Well, I cannot spoil the story and ruin your concentration by telling you too quickly, can I? But suffice it to say, there is a surprising twist in this story.

The moment of epiphany came one weekend when there seemed particularly nothing special to do. The weather was awful. I didn’t want to leave the house. My on/off girlfriend was off. It was really rather bleak. But I’d surpassed the 1,000 Facebook friends milestone and was feeling rather pleased with myself, at least in that regard. And let’s face it, with a Facebook addiction, it was like having the guaranteed buzz for months. I found lots of people who like me, were hooked onto Farmville. We’d play for hours and hours. Like this particular weekend, in fact.

I had started on the Friday evening. My time in class was always a chore, what with thinking about the Farmville games I would play later on. My college had some policy to do with distraction and non-essential use of computers around the lecture halls, which meant that there was no Facebook available there.

facebook addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment